Helos everyone! Here I am, back in the kitchen, happy to be cooking again! Today I present a unique recipe – Crispy Orange Grilled Chicken. It essentially is nothing but grilled chicken breasts, but cooked with some crazy marination and sides. We had some chicken breasts in the fridge and I was not enthu enough to dice them and prepare Chinese Schezwan Stir-Fry, and hence looked up on the internet for something new. And this is what I came across!
You would need:
- ½ kg (boneless) chicken breasts (2 to 3, depending on their size)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oil (I mixed groundnut oil and olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup toasted breadcrumbs OR rusk OR biscuits OR bread-sticks
- 1 full orange/mandarin
- ½ cup orange marmalade (yes, you’ve read it right!)
For the sides, you would need:
- 8-10 baby potatoes OR 2 regular sized potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 tomato
- Few drops of oil
- Dash of salt and black pepper
- Defrost your chicken if you purchased frozen chicken, and wash it well with water. Pat dry with paper napkins.
- If the breasts are thicker than 1cm each, cut each breast along the thickness into two thin breast slices. Make 3-4 cuts on each of the chicken breasts.
- In a wide bowl, grate about 1 tablespoon zest from the orange and add the marmalade to it.
- Add the soy sauce, oil, red chilly flakes, salt and black pepper to it and mix well.
- Place the chicken breasts and turn a few times to coat them well. Let this sit for a while (30 minutes is enough, but at least 15 minutes if you can’t wait).
- Saute the sesame till they become crisp and turn brown. Watch out while you roast them, they can get burnt very easily.
- Crush the rusk/biscuits/breadsticks into fine powder and mix in the toasted sesame seeds.
- Set your oven to pre heat to 200 C / 400 F. If you are using a microwave oven in the grill/convection mode, use the higher of the two racks.
- In the meanwhile, set the potatoes and carrot in a pressure cooker, or boil them till soft. Peel the carrots before boiling and the potatoes after boiling!
- Take out the marinated breast pieces one by one and dip them in the crushed rusk+sesame; turn to coat both sides. Place them on the rack and then into the oven.
- Dipping the marinated chicken in rusk+sesame not only stops the marinade from dripping, but also makes a crispy grilled chicken.
- Grill for 10 minutes, remove, flip the pieces and put them back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- While the chicken is getting grilled, cut the tomato into 4 pieces and stir fry a little bit on a pan in a few drops of oil.
- Toss the boiled vegetables and the tomato slices in a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Set the sides on your plate and add in some orange slices.
- Serve the chicken straight out of the oven, along with the sides and enjoy with a tall glass of coke :)
Calories: Low to moderate
Eat when: Dinner
Yumminess Factor: You may just love to dip that chicken in some mustard sauce and put between a sliced burger bun!
I just love cooking fresh fruits and adding them in as main ingredients in regular food :) Actually, I just love fruits!